Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Random observations

Recognized and acknowledging a familiar yet unknown face.

She signs, No!, and like a willful child her passenger climbs out of the car intent on being the hero tries to get the car out of the snow bank with no success. Sits back in the car and dials her cell phone.

Penciled eyebrows and embroidered jeans thinning hair pulled back, not to harsh, mid 50ish, skin just beginning to show signs of her youth escaping her watching curiously another passenger.

He gets on the bus every morning clutching to his chest a backpack. He holds it so tight as if it contains all of his most valuable worldly possessions. Slides his bus pass and walks to the back of the bus - always the back. I wonder does he observe as I do. We exit at the same stop, he follows me - my steps brisk taking me to my destination, work. He stands in the lower lobby of the building in the opposite corner the farthest from where we enter the building. There is a heater there and he still clutches his bag. I wonder what he holds so close. What earthly possession can one hold onto with such care and protection? If it were me, it would be words. Words you say and ask yourself as you read this blog? I fear they would escape me and be found, judged or ridiculed and worse that all the the aforementioned , Lost. This is why I take on this scary task of sharing my words with whoever chooses to read. My words may seem meaningless but are important as the observations I am consciously taking. What a beautiful journey - what am I creating? I cannot wait to see so I can share it with you.

She speaks and has a casual yet rapt audience. The young girl with dulled blue eyes watches the dialogue among the three without hearing or maybe she does. There is music or story in her ears. I notice her hands, she has a writers callous on the first knuckle of her middle finger is she a student? I also notice that her hands are not what you would expect when you look at her. Her fingers are narrow, almost delicate but not.

Again, to be continued.....(I wonder if anyone realizes that I am just a casual observer of this thing called life and how suddenly I rummage for my pad and pen or just flipping my phone open and appear to be texting when I am actually typing what I see).

6 comments:

Martini Cartwheels said...

Hmmmm, well you've certainly caught my interest. I hope this is to be continued. I can't wait to read how this ends.

Cristina said...

This will be one that does not end, I am finding myself more aware of people around me and have been taking notes in my cell phone to be posted here - maybe one day I will try to put it all down and write a story. I am creative ya know, not juat a #'s geek. I should go up to NoHo to just walk around and observe for a day, oh the things I will see and sense. It makes me all warm inside thinking about it.

Martini Cartwheels said...

Good, because now I am hooked. Yes, Noho would for sure have many interesting things/people to observe. One of my favorite places to be.

Martini Cartwheels said...

Hey Cristina,

I tagged you on my current post. No pressure. Feel free to answer only if you are so inclined.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came over from cj's place.

NoHo is verrrrrry interesting for people watching. A friend and I once bought golf shoes in a second had store and clopped our way down the sidewalk. (shrugs) We're artists we craved attention back then.

I'm an observer too. But of nature, odd things I will stand and stare at... winter bare branches, grass on a lawn, reflections in puddles.

I'm curious as to where your observations shall take your texting fingers.

Cristina said...

Chewey,

I do love to sit watch & listen to the songs that nature has for us. I love to watch a starry winters night sky - last night a star winked at me and made me smile throughout my entire body. I need to develop some film - I have not broken down and purchased the Cannon Digital Rebel XTi yet.